Wednesday, October 24, 2012


I would like to apologize in advance for this boring blog but I am seriously out of ideas on what to write about. I realize that every week I write about something going on in the corps, but to be honest, nothing else remotely exciting happens, so this is all that I can write about. This past weekend was family weekend, and my parents, my god parents, and my sister came to see me. My god parents arrived on Friday and spent the evening with me and took me out to dinner. I took them on a tour of the campus. Mostly I showed them my favorite spots such as the pylons, the drillfield and the duck pond. I was a pretty good tour guide too. Part of being a cadet is knowing random facts about the university that no one cares about. Like I could tell you that the 2 flag poles in front of Burruss Hall are exactly 77 feet apart and the longest pipe on the organ in the chapel is 16 feet tall. The university opened in 1872 and the very 1st student was William Addison Caldwell. I would just tell them random crap like that and they were really impressed about how much I knew about the university. After the tour we went out to eat at Flynn’s Pub in downtown Blacksburg. After they left I went to go see The Dark Knight Rises over at Squires Student Center. That movie is epic. Saturday morning all the parents showed up. To show them how much we have progressed in the corps we had a Pass In Review out on the drillfield. We basically just march around with rifles, but to an audience it looks really impressive and professional. When I met up with my parents, my sister was laughing her ass off telling me about how both my parents started crying because of how proud of me they were. It was great seeing them again after 2 long months. I cant believe how much I missed my sister too. Usually we cant stand each other. I guess we get along a lot better after spending time away from each other. Don’t get me wrong, we fight a lot but I still love my sister. For lunch we went out to eat at Sharkey’s with my roommate and his parents. We had a great time eating there and watching the Tech football game, even though we lost. Then we went to our hotel and just stayed there the rest of the day watching TV. I missed watching TV so much, I havnt so much as watched a video on youtube let alone TV show since I came here. We mostly watched movies including Hitch, 300, Grown Ups, Easy-A, and Jeff Dunham’s Halloween Special. So that was pretty much my weekend. Now I have Halloween next week to look forward too. Freshmen in the corps have the pleasure of handing out candy to all of the upperclassmen cadets. And I have to dress up as a banana…awesome.

2 comments:

  1. That's so exciting that you finally got to see your parents! I definitely didn't know that the flagpoles were 77 feet apart or about any of the other random facts that you shared. I've actually learned a lot about the corps and from Tech through your blogs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some pretty impressive facts! I absolutely love movies and I don't know what I would do if I couldn't watch movies at least on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete